FG to start evacuating Nigerians from South Africa tomorrow as 640 registered for evacuation
Federal Government has said it will start evacuating stranded Nigerians back home on Wednesday.
According to the Chairman of Nigeria Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, 640 Nigerians have registered to return to Nigeria from South Africa.
President Buhari took to Twitter to announced that he received reports from the special envoy sent to South Africa about the spate of attacks on Nigerians, Buhari said;
“I have received the report from the Special Envoy I sent to South Africa last week.
We will continue to pressure the South African Government to take concrete and visible measures to stop violence against citizens of other African nations.
”The recurring issue of xenophobia and attacks on African nationals remains very worrying.
If nothing is done to stop it, it could negatively affect the image and standing of South Africa as one of the leading countries in Africa.
It has to be stopped.
Air peace had shown interest to fly stranded Nigerians back home.
According to the letter, Air peace said they could not fold their hands and watch South Africans kill fellow Nigerians.
The airline asked the federal government to inform the Nigerian embassy and South African government to transport stranded Nigerians to the airport to allow air peace evacuate them to Nigeria.
The letter signed by the airline chief operating officer, Mrs. Oluwatoyin Olajide, states that the airline is ready to deploy B77 aircraft immediately to fly Nigerians back home.
Meanwhile, Thabo Mbeki has dismissed reports that South Africans are targeting Nigerians in the recent xenophobic attacks.
The former president of South Africa said some criminals are Nigerians that are drug dealers.
Some Nigerian criminals are prostitutes.
South Africans are not going around to attack Nigerians because they are Nigerians, that’s not correct.
The attack on foreigners started on Sunday morning, where angry mobs stormed foreign businesses and Loot.