300 Nigerians registered so far for evacuation as looting continues in SA
At least 300 Nigerians have registered for evacuation from South Africa.
Nigeria’s Ambassador to South Africa has been recalled for further talk and to evaluate the spate of attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
According to the South African police spokesperson, Mathapelo Peters, eleven people have been killed since the attacks began last Monday on immigrants.
Looting of businesses owned by immigrants hasn’t stopped either.He also announced the arrest of 74 persons bringing the total of people arrested since the attacks began to 497
The attacks is believed to have been carried out by the Zulu hostel dwellers.
Meanwhile, Air Peace in a statement said on Friday that evacuation is been delayed due to some of the stranded Nigerians are without a valid travel documents.
The Airline said Boeing 777 aircraft is ready to evacuate Nigerians out of South Africa once their travel documents is ready which Nigeria high commission is already doing in Johannesburg and Pretoria.
The South African Foreign Affairs Minister, Naledi Pandor, had justified the attacks on immigrants during an interview with eNCA.
Pandor said majority of Nigerians in South Africa engages in criminal activities like Drug trafficking, Human trafficking and other related criminal activities.
Pandor further said she would appreciate it if Nigerians can address the belief South Africans have and the reality that a lot of Nigerians are drug traffickers in South Africa.
However the Federal government has replied the South African foreign affairs minister, Naledi Pandor, over her comment.
The foreign affairs minister of Nigeria Geoffrey Onyeama took to his official twitter to caution Pandor over her statement
It is precisely this kind of outrageous stigmatisation of a people from senior government officials that fuel xenophobia and embolden criminals.