High Blood Pressure (Hypertension), causes and treatments
Hypertension is a silent condition that could go unnoticed for several years before showing any type of symptoms.
We unknowingly experience high blood pressure from our daily activities, this could be from stress or extensive thinking.
When our blood pressure is consistently high, the heart is at greater risk.
So What is hypertension ?
Hypertension is the amount of blood passing through the blood vessels while the heart is pumping.
When this is consistently high, It makes arteries tighter, restricting blood flow to your heart.
This could lead to life threatening disease like heart attack or stroke.
Hypertension can be diagnosed with a blood pressure monitor (BP).
The monitor shows the pressure in blood vessels while it’s active and the pressure while it’s at rest.
BP reading while the heart is contracting is called systolic while the reading when the heart is at rest is called diastolic.
If both systolic and diastolic reading exceeds 140 mmHg – 90 mmHg, on two different days, high blood pressure is diagnosed.
There are two types of hypertension
- Primary hypertension or essential hypertension
- Secondary hypertension
Primary hypertension: is the most common type of hypertension.
If a blood pressure is consistently high, above 140 mmHg – 90 mmHg without any secondary identifiable cause, it’s called primary hypertension or essential hypertension.
Treating primary hypertension. You can reduce risk of having hypertension through Lifestyle changes Such as
- Having regular exercise
- Through your diet
- Cutting back in alcohol, tobacco and caffein intake
What causes primary hypertension ?
- Hereditary: Such as genetics abnormalities inherited
- Environmental factor: Such as stress, substance abuse like alcohol, tobacco and lack of exercise.
Secondary hypertension: mostly more severe than primary hypertension and are caused due to complications from another health issue such as diabetes, obesity, kidney disease.
Treating Secondary hypertension
Your doctor might want to treat your underlying issue causing your hypertension.
Some Medication for hypertension
- Diuretics – It helps in removing excess sodium from the body
- Calcium channel blockers – It’s widely used to treat hypertension. This group of medication relaxes the blood vessels.
- Beta-blockers – Block the effect of adrenaline on the heart, by making your heart beat with less force and also block certain hormones that could raise your blood pressure.